Part of a fold-out illustrated map
A Bird's-Eye View of the Thames from the City to Oxford (c. 1887; publisher unknown)
It also shows The District Railway (extended from West Brompton to Putney Bridge in 1880) and the new Putney Bridge, opened in 1885. (Courtesy of Fulham Cemetery Friends)
A section from the OS map of London produced in 1894-6
In 1891, the triangular site we know now was bought by the Fulham Vestry (the local government authority for the ancient parish of Fulham, before vestries were replaced by borough councils) in order to provide recreational space for the growing population in the area. Funding was received from London County Council and it opened as Fulham Recreation Ground in 1892, its name later changed to Lillie Road Recreation Ground.
The park originally had railings along the central path and a bandstand, gymnasium and gardens. An extension beyond the east wall was added as part of the redevelopment of the Fulham riverside in the 1970s.